Sunday, January 4, 2009

OMGiHEARTbobbyFISCHER!!1one

i've decided to post today's post today after all, as opposed to tomorrow, because tomorrow we're going to Tehachapi and there's a fair chance i might not get much of a free evening. i also can post now because i just watched an amazing movie.

Searching for Bobby Fischer is the most resent edition to my favorite movies list. What makes a favorite movie in Julia's books? you might ask. Well, these are the three standard qualifiers she usually* dishes out. Crazy people, insane asylums, and/or genii. Particularly very young boy geniuses. Boys choirs and movies that make me cry a lot are close seconds but, too many movies make me cry for all of them to be on the favorites list. That defeats the purpose. However, making me cry because it's a serious, thought-provoking and sad movie is a definite 'good movie' in my book.

Anyways, Bobby--drat! I'm using proper capitalization again. I blame this on my subconscious being aware of new readers. *scowls at jenny and mindowa* My feet smell like rosemary. It's these sandbags mom gave me.

Anyways, Bobby Fischer movie is nice and fits me to a T. I loved the ending, with him winning and all. But Josh's offering that state champion twerp a draw irked me a lot. Which is bad and shows just how strong my evil, crush-them-all, side of me is. (very strong indeed, evidently.) But the twerp didn't accept it and he went down and that was good but, perfect or unusually good people still irk me.

Anyways, Bobby Fischer, highly recommended.

Btw! The movie eludes throughout that "young Josh's" chess tutor is the actual Bobby Fischer, though they never have the audacity to actually come out and state it in so many words, because, HONESTLY PEOPLE. Nice way to portray it for the kids and to make a pretty movie story. But Bobby Fischer would never have been that good with people, especially not the patience, care, and love he used in his relationship with Josh. Naw aw. Also? He was Not in the U.S. after failing to defend his world championship, I don't think at least. *gets suddenly sheepish due to none-confirmed facts rolling around in her notoriously imaginative memory* I do know that at some point, he left the U.S. and never returned and was actually kind of a fugitive and stuff. Got his citizenship revoked and whatnot. He loathed the States most of his life. Then again, he didn't make friends with the rest of the world either. It's quite possible he was in the States between the world championships and his rematch. But I'm too lazy to go look it up right now. And you're probably sick of me talking about Bobby Fischer by now so, new subject.

Isn't it neat how families instinctively stand with their backs facing the same direction and opposing whoever it is their family stops to talk to at church? It's like an subconscious form of team spirit. Very neat. Couples do it too sometimes. trusting each other to "watch their back" by standing with their backs facing each other, opposing the world, i.e. the huddle of people talking to them on either side. I like that better than the huddle of two over a(n) visible/invisible shared coffee cup. That's not so team spirity. That's more, well, this post is long enough so I won't go into it anymore but, just picture a family of seven doing the same "group stance". Not very appealing.

over and out.



*"usually" being always in this instance







**FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO CARE** so Fischer was in the US after the world championship during his years of obscurity and remained there until his 1992 rematch with Spassky in Yugoslavia. At which point, having broken the Presidents embargo with that country and insulting the U.S., he was wanted by our government and never returned again. So I was right. And the movie was too. It "took place" during his times in Cali. Those years of "disappearance". Wish I'd been on the streets of Pasadena at the time to bump into him.

No comments: